2007-07-29

Beijing 2007

Michael and Robin are visiting Beijing.

We are staying in an apartment. Paula and Adam stayed here two years ago. It came highly recommended and has lived up to our expectations. Cheap and basic, but clean and secure, with free wireless internet.

Kelvin met me (Michael) from the airport as arranged around 16:00. I then got settled in. I bought a China Mobile SIM card, but found my Nokia handset was locked to Vodaphone. I had to leave it overnight with a local AnyCall shop to get it unlocked.

We also have Skype, Gizmo and jajah, which, when the mobile is operational, allows (almost) free calls (initiated over the internet) between my mobile and UK landlines.

Kelvin was supposed to collect me at 10.40pm to go and collect Robin. Unfortunately he lost track of time. By the time I had decided to call his mobile, renewed my SkypeOut credit, and waited for him to arrive, it was 23:15. He drove fast to the airport, and I found Robin, who was busy contemplating his fate - alone in Beijing with 10 Yuan to his name. Character-building? Perhaps...

Our photo-album is hosted on Picasa.

No comments: